There are so many breakfast cereals targeted at children and so many adverts for these cereals on the TV, online and in mainstream advertising too. If you were a Martian landing on Earth for the first time and you didn’t know what breakfast was you might think that breakfast cereal WAS breakfast. There are so many other options though. I’ve collected my thoughts around alternative and healthier breakfasts and I’ve added some links for you where recipes might help. I hope you find this useful.
- Overnight Oats
- Bircher Muesli
- Granola – shop-bought (look for lower sugar) or ideally home-made (no added refined sugar)
- Fried in coconut oil, butter or ghee
- Grain Free Pancakes
- Fruit compote and yogurt with nuts/seeds
- Granola and yogurt
- Yogurt, honey and fresh fruit
- Kefir with compote and seeds/nuts
- Kefir with granola
- Yogurt/kefir smoothie with fruit and water or milk
- Wholegrain Spelt Pancakes -using your normal pancake recipe but switch the flour to spelt flour
- Buckwheat Pancakes
- Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Chocolate Quinoa Pancakes
The important rules here are not to make it too sweet and to ensure you have some protein and fat in each smoothie or shake otherwise the result will be a happy and energetic child for the first hour of the day then a hungry or even ‘hangry’ child after that!
Added protein sources:
- Good quality protein powder
- Yogurt (natural) or Kefir
- Nuts/seeds or nut/seed butters
I hope you’ve enjoyed and even made use of these alternatives. It helps to try and think outside of the cereal box!