The beetroot in this recipe provides a real moistness to the chocolate brownies. The combination of wholegrain flour and anti-oxidant rich beetroot with dark chocolate make this a real health-boosting brownie.
- 125g cooked beetroot, finely grated (that’s 1/2 a pack of vacuum-packed beetroot from the fresh vegetable fridge)
- 125g butter
- 250g dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp barley malt syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g wholegrain spelt flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. (fan assisted)
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and beetroot in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a different bowl over a pan of boiling water (don’t let the bowl touch the boiling water below)
- Add the melted butter and chocolate mix to the flour and beetroot mix.
- Fold in the eggs then add the syrup and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a brownie baking tin greased if necessary
- Bake for 20 minutes until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of one brownie comes out clean