So many people love baked beans but baulk at the sugar content. These beans take less than 30 minutes to make and freeze well too.
- 40g olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 unsmoked back bacon rashers, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g tins of haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 45g tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp black treacle/molasses
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Gently fry the onion and bacon in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients. Stir. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins.
- Check seasonings and pack in a warmed Thermos flask.