Soups need not be labour intensive, this soup is a prime example. It’s extremely simple to make but also extremely flavoursome. Rich in beta-carotene, this soup is ideal during cold season when your immune-system needs a boost.
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced thickly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 leeks sliced in half lengthways then into half discs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 litre of water
- Milk (an option) – dairy or non-dairy
- Roast the carrots at 180°C (350°F) in the olive oil until soft i.e. 30-35 minutes
- Meanwhile sweat the leeks in 2 tbsp butter in a large lidded saucepan.
- Make up the bouillon in a measuring jug.
- Once the carrots are roasted and the leeks soft then put the bouillon and carrots into the pan with the leeks.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes then leave to cool before processing in a food processor.
- You can add milk at this stage if you want a creamier soup.
- Pack in a warmed Thermos.